Tuesday 19 March 2013

7. Look back at your preliminary task (FEED THE FISH) what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

 Comparison of preliminary task and opening sequence
  


I learnt a lot from my preliminary task, but I did still make a few similar mistakes. For example my framing of characters did not improve as much as I might have hoped. At times, I even overcompensated in the opposite direction, e.g.  scenes were too short instead of too long.
 
While pleased we did the preliminary task, I actually feel I have learnt substantially more from the main task, because I have used a range of settings in my product, whereas in my preliminary task all you saw was the outside of a building and the confines of an office. I have experimented with more camera angles and techniques during the filming of my opening sequence. The addition of music in the main task was challenging but particularly rewarding,  because it added enormously to the power of emotion. The main product also has a much more compelling storyline and seems more realistic perhaps because I had longer to plan (actors, location, script, symbolism and storyboard etc.), film and edit the opening sequence, besides the obvious reason of it being longer and therefore a more developed theme. Additionally, I felt the team for the opening sequence were all singing from the same song sheet and all worked towards my more clearly defined vision.

However, I feel that the in depth analysis and evaluation of the main product has been particularly beneficial in helping me further research, learn about and understand drama theory and conventions, and practical camera techniques. I hope to develop my understanding and expertise further as I progress the storyline and direct the continuation of the film.

All photos are either screen shots or from Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment